Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Review : Dhobi Ghat

The titles at the start of the movie translate DHOBI GHAT into MUMBAI DIARIES and that is what the movie is really about..... a serious, " artsy" effort places Kiran Rao in the league of talented and serious film makers......

A shortish film, it captures the moods and diversity of the Mumbai landscape though one misses the constant din and the excesses of people everywhere...this gives a sort of sanitised look to the city..... Prateik Babbar surely carries late Smita Patil's genes and it shows in what is probably his debut film? Aamir Khan as the loner- painter executes his role with panache...wonder why the excessive smoking scenes in the film ?...as I have said before, I think the tobacco companies probably overtly fund films to do so....

The Dogra girl also does a good job at portraying the role of a Parsi girl, speaking accented Hindi ...I found her role of a Banker- Photographer a tad autobiographical though I am neither that young nor that  good- looking !

All in all, do go and see it....the Janta may not lap it up but do I give rat's arse  to it ?

RSK

No comments:

Post a Comment